The following information was provided by the Guy family, many of whom lived in Chiddingly in the 19th and 20th centuries.
"David Guy, who died on January 23rd. 1912 aged 76, was
the benefactor of £50 towards the clock for Chiddingly
Church. This is commemorated inside the church with a large brass plaque in his honour.
The plaque reads:
"1912. A legacy of £50 having been left towards a clock for this church by the late David Guy (of Hailsham).
The remainder amounting to £80 was raised by subscription.'
This beautiful handmade clock was built in 1912 by a
clockmaker in Croydon, [Gillet & Johnston]
Surrey. It was transported by railway to the village of Horam, approx. 3 miles north east of Chiddingly
and then by handcart to Chiddingly church. Local villagers then raised the clock some 45 feet
using rope block & tackle to its final resting place in the 'silence chamber' where it remains in perfect working order to
date. The clock is hand-wound twice each week and chimes on the hour."
The clock is still in perfect working order, but is no longer
hand-wound but instead benefits from an
electric auto-wind system. It still chimes on the hour and also the quarters, and has a Westminster chime.
This is from a poem by William Chives, who came to Chiddingly in 1891 to live and work.
CLOCK - TOWER - 1912
The mechanism is in a room below the belfry chamber, accessed by a spiral staircase from the vestry. A cast iron flat bed frame carrying the clock mechanism itself. Double three legged gravity escapements with compensation pendulum, 2m long. Electrically wound. Name of manufacturer (Gillet & Johnston, Croydon) cast on the setting dials and a lower rail of frame.