Chiddingly Church 

Return to Chiddingly Church home page   

The Church Font

 

From the NADFAS Guide:

FONT - NORTH AISLE - Date not known
Octagonal bowl with lead liner and moulded octagonal column, ovolo and astragal mouldings join the bowl to the stem, with roll moulded base to octagonal plinth.

Brought from derelict church at South Heighton and given new pedestal

Re-located within church from North Door site to North Transept m 1894

FONT COVER - NORTH AISLE - 19thC
Octagonal shaped wood in one board with central split. Wrought iron plain bow handle in centre on top and three battens on underside.

***************************

The following information comes from a booklet:  "South Heighton - Denton and Tarring Neville    C10 - C21 by Brigid Chapman

Publ CGB books, ISBN  978 - 1 - 873983 - 10 - 2

St Martin's church in South Heighton was struck by lightning on February 7th 1769.  It was so badly damaged that the village decided not to repair it.
The site became a garden, and the font was "appropriated to the use of a water trough in a neighbouring farmyard."  It was then about 30 years later that, quite probably, it was Mark Antony Lower who arranged that the stonework was re-cut, and the font then installed in Chiddingly Church.  M A Lower was born in Chiddingly; in his "Parochial History of Chiddingly" page 245 he says it replaced "a miserable little marble basin".

Brigid Chapman writes that the font dates from the 14th Century.