This is a picture by J Henwood, dated 1828. Lightning struck the tower and
did much damage in the late 1890s,
and the tower was reconstructed starting 1897 - and the new tower was a little bit shorter than the original one.
Note the windows in the east end - these were completely altered in early
Victorian times, probably around
20 or 30 years after this picture was painted. The Chancel roof was also taken down and was completely rebuilt,
a little bit lower than in this picture.
We wonder how much artistic licence is in the painting: the artist
would be sitting where the Chiddingly Village
Hall now stands.